Busy and unsure where to start when it comes to improving your gut health? Here are five simple swaps you can make to help keep your gut bugs happy –
- Swap cow dairy for A2 dairy. The “A1 casein” contained in most commercial cow dairy is an allergic protein that causes an inflammatory reaction is up to 60% of adults. However milk from Jersey cows, goats, sheep and camels contain the “A2 casein” which is not allergenic for most people. Plant milks like unsweetened oat, almond etc. are also great alternatives. Goats dairy is considered very non-allergenic, containing smaller fat molecules which actually help to break down mucus in the system1https://draxe.com/nutrition/goat-milk/. You can read more about this in our previous blog post, ‘Are you allergic to cows milk?‘
- Switch white rice for quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat or millet. Your gut bugs will LOVE the fibre diversity! You can read more about fibre diversity here: https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/4-easy-ways-to-ensure-youre-eating-enough-fibre/
- Ditch your usual loaf of bread for Ezekiel bread. It’s low GI and contains multiple sources of natural fibre from sprouted grains and legumes. We buy ours here.
- Swap sugar in your teas and coffees for 100% pure Stevia or yacon syrup. Both are low GI and won’t kill off your good gut bugs, unlike refined sugar. Check out our post about sweeteners here:
- Switch the indoors for OUT, as much as possible. Time outdoors can reduce stress and anxiety as well as increase microbial diversity2https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01178/full.
Et voila! The quick and easy road to gut health and happiness 😉