We all know that the healthiest way to enjoy a drink is in moderation and with a meal but let’s face it – especially during this time of year, that’s not always the reality!
So here are some ideas for avoiding the side effects of having a few too many. (And if all else fails, there’s always dry January… ; )
On the night…
- Having something to eat beforehand can help blunt the effect of the alcohol.
- Alternating with a soft drink or water throughout the evening can reduce your overall intake.
- Diluting your drink is good idea too – go for a wine spritzer or add a mixer to your usual tipple instead of having it neat.
The morning after…
If you do find yourself feeling a little worse for wear the following day, here are some quick-recovery tips:
- Keep hydrated. Water as well as smoothies, juices, and coconut water will help to maintain electrolyte levels.1https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31961713/
- Think of your liver! Have poached eggs or porridge for breakfast which provide amino acids needed for liver detoxification. Other foods to support the liver include turmeric (add it to sauces, rice dishes, and French dressing) as well as cruciferous vegetables: add kale, cabbage, and watercress to your green juice.
- If you don’t feel up to eating, supplements such as L-cysteine 2https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32808029/ and Siberian Ginseng 3https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26012258/ are known to help alleviate the symptoms of a hangover.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep. Alcohol tends to help us fall asleep more easily but it can prevent deep restorative sleep so be sure to chill out and relax the day after the night before 🙂 4https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25499829/
Did you know?
Probiotics Lactobacillus and bifidobacterium reduce levels of alcohol and its metabolites in the bloodstream5https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8228388/ so nurturing your gut microbiome all year round will help you recover after a few extra drinks at Christmas and New Year 😉
If you prefer to go non-alcoholic, check out our article on alcohol-free cocktails!
Contact one of our Nutritional Therapists via live chat from 8 am to 8 pm on weekdays for bespoke advice on gut wellness.