We hear you – life is busy. Especially with kids! Our days can be hectic, often over-scheduled and overstimulating, with little time to rest. Why not take this summer as an opportunity to slow down and reconnect with yourself and your kids? You don’t have to jam your summer holidays full of activities and visit every attraction near you. Instead, opt for slower days with meaningful connection.
Here are some ideas for slow summer fun:
- Morning walks. Get outside first thing in the morning to enhance your mood and health.1https://www.1000hoursoutside.com/blog/exposure-to-morning-sunlight Take your Gut Health Smoothie and an on-the-go breakfast, and stop at a nice picnic spot.
- Get in the kitchen with your kids: make ice lollies, fun snacks or treats.
- Read together as a family. This is an easy, yet impactful way to connect with your kids while working on literacy skills.2https://literacytrust.org.uk/blog/reading-children-so-powerful-so-simple-and-yet-so-misunderstood/3https://improvingliteracy.org/article/article-summer-reading-done-right Stuck on what books to read? The Critters Inside You by CG co-director, Shann, is a great way to explain the concept of the microbiome and how to look after it, to your children. Check out this list for more inspiration.
- Get your hands dirty. Plant some vegetables, herbs or flowers together. You don’t need an allotment to do this. Just a few flower pots or window boxes are wonderful for young kids. Not only are you spending time in nature, but your child is also working on fine motor skills. Here’s some inspo on what you can plant in late summer.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm for summer berries or apples and make a jam or jelly. Click here to find a local farm.
- Unplug. Technology, screen time and social media can easily get out of hand. Be mindful of how much screen time your child is getting this summer – but don’t feel guilty for enjoying the ‘downtime’ of movie night too!
For more family-friendly activity ideas, check out 5 outdoor activities for your kids.
Any questions? Contact one of our Nutritional Therapists via live chat, weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm.