30% off Shatavari and Siberian Ginseng with code: HERBAL30
Live Chat 8am - 8pm
FREE Next Day Delivery on orders over £25
FREE lifetime support

Your Christmas guide to polyphenols

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – and we’re counting down the days to Christmas! To help you prepare for the big day, we’ve prepared your Christmas wish list of polyphenols. 

Polyphenols are important micronutrients for your body and your gut microbiome.1https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35694805/ They are found in plant-based foods and have many amazing health benefits. They can:2https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35694805/ 

  • Nourish your gut bacteria
  • Act as powerful antioxidants
  • Reduce inflammation
  • Protect your brain
  • Keep your heart healthy

And the best part is that many polyphenol-rich foods are DELICIOUS. Think of berries, dark chocolate and coffee.

Here are your top polyphenol treats to keep your gut bacteria happy this Christmas:

Roasted Chestnuts 🔥

Roasted chestnuts on an open fire are essential for every Christmas market! These seasonal nuts have a very high polyphenol content. You can also snack on other nuts such as hazelnuts and pecans.3www.healthline.com/health/polyphenols-foods#nuts

Hot Cocoa 

Dark chocolate (70% or higher) can be a healthy treat with lower sugar content that is rich in polyphenols. 4https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36300165/ Consider using 70% cocoa for Santa’s hot chocolate this year instead!

If you’re not into hot chocolate, you can also get your dose of polyphenols from tea or coffee.

Spiced Christmas Treats 🍰

One of the most studied polyphenols are spices, such as turmeric, cinnamon and more. For a summary of our top 5 spices – have a look here. You’ll find these in your mince pies, gingerbread houses or a classic Christmas cake! 

Berry Trifle 🍓

One way to get berries in your Christmas menu is a classic Trifle! Berries are also packed with important vitamins and add a natural sweetness to your day. 

Mulled Wine 🍷

This classic holiday punch combines spices and wine – which are both rich in polyphenols! Another classic for your Christmas market, or some may wish to make it at home. Remember to drink responsibly.


Life is all about balance. We love the 80/20 rule here at Chuckling Goat. You can pick the healthy choices 80% of the time, and treat yourself with the remaining 20% 😉 

There’s no need to deprive yourself of all the good treats – so be kind to yourself this holiday season!

References

Questions? Talk to a Nutritional Therapist on live chat!

More from The Gut Health Express