Introducing Isabella’s speciale! This simple soup is a favourite autumn/winter warmer in our house, made with nutrient-dense butternut squash and sweet potato, and a dose of Complete Prebiotic for extra gut-healthy goodness! With hunks of crusty bread and salted butter, it makes for a quick and tasty weekday lunch or supper.
Our three-year-old daughter, Isabella, is head chef when it comes to cooking this – and I’m the sous chef, on chopping duty.
Here’s how we whip it up in our kitchen –
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
250g sweet potatoes
1/2 butternut squash
1 TBSP olive oil
600ml chicken stock
3 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
2 TSP cinnamon
1 TSP dried sage
1 large onion
Salt and pepper to season
4 TBSP goat’s milk yoghurt (for a creamier soup – optional)
Fresh red chilli, sliced (optional)
- Pour 1 TBSP of olive oil into a large pan on a medium heat. Finely dice the onion and chop the leek into thin rounds before adding to your pan and softening (5-10 minutes).
- Crush the garlic into the pan, add the sage and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and sweet potatoes into cubes then add to the pan.
- Pour 600ml of chicken stock on top of your veggies, herbs and spices, stir in the cinnamon and cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
- Once the vegetables are soft, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the Complete Prebiotic and goat’s milk yoghurt.
- Transfer the mixture (in batches if necessary) to a blender and whizz until thick and smooth. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with fresh chilli.
Chef Isabella recommends serving with thick slices of sourdough bread and salted butter.
Check out the recipe section of The Gut Health Express for more dishes you, your family, and your gut bugs will love!
Any questions? Contact one of our Nutritional Therapists via live chat, weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm.