In honour of Aromatherapy Awareness Week, let’s talk about essential oils!
An essential oil is the concentrated liquid extract of a potentially beneficial plant. The oil often has a stronger scent than the plant from which it comes, and contains a higher levels of active ingredients.1https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326732#risks
Essential oils are most commonly used in aromatherapy, a form of alternative medicine that uses plant extracts to help support health and general wellbeing.2https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-are-essential-oils
Inhaling the aromas from essential oils can stimulate areas of your limbic system, which is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, behaviours, and long-term memory.3https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917081/ The limbic system is heavily involved in forming memories. This may partly explain why familiar smells can trigger particular memories or emotions.4https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15157428/
The limbic system also plays a role in controlling several unconscious physiological functions, such as heart rate, blood pressure and even breathing. As such, some claim that essential oils can also exert a physical effect on your body.
There are hundreds of essential oils to choose from, each with its own unique scent and health benefit. Whether you’re a beginner in this area or a long-time connoisseur, you’ll enjoy experimenting with Chuckling Goat Natural Clean Essential Oil.
Natural Clean Essential Oil is a combination of three delicious essential oils: grapefruit, lemon and bergamot. Let’s break it down –
Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Aids weight loss5https://draxe.com/essential-oils/grapefruit-essential-oil/6https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17615482/
- Natural antimicrobial effects that help reduce harmful strains of bacteria7https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12165191/
- Reduces feelings of stress8https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12499579/
- Boosts mood9https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11858553/
Lemon Essential Oil
- Relieves nausea and morning sickness in pregnancy10https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24829772/
- Reduces skin damage caused by free radicals11https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10568210/
- Anti-inflammatory effects12https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671226/
- Boosts cognitive function and focus13https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20377818/14http://www.erc.ie/documents/vol36chp5.pdf
Bergamot Essential Oil
- Reduces feelings of anxiety and fatigue15https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25824404/16https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23531112/
- Natural pain-relieving properties17https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5751100/
- Aids digestion18https://draxe.com/essential-oils/bergamot-oil/
- Fights coughs, colds and respiratory conditions19https://draxe.com/essential-oils/bergamot-oil/
So, now you know why the Natural Clean Essential Oil is a good choice, but how can you use it in your day-to-day life to benefit you and your family?
Essential oils are a safe and beneficial way to purify the air and make your home smell delicious, without chemicals or pollutants.20https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326732#uses It’s simple to use essential oils as an air freshener by using a homemade diffuser, reed bottle or room spray.21https://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/965663/homemade-essential-oil-air-fresheners/
Inhaling essential oil is a great natural remedy whenever you experience allergies, sinus congestion or simply want a quick mood boost. You can purchase a nebuliser for this purpose, or just boil an inch of water in a saucepan, add three drops of Natural Clean Essential Oil to the pan, move the pan to a safe location, throw a towel over both your head and the pan, and inhale the steam for three minutes.
Simple and effective! The warmth of the water helps the skin to absorb the essential oils while their fragrance is inhaled at the same time. Use a maximum of 6 – 8 drops of essential oil in your bath.22https://balmbalm.com/pages/bathing-with-essential-oils
Most household cleaners are filled with chemicals and toxins that can be dangerous for your home and family.23https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/phthalates-plastics-chemicals-research-analysis As essential oils come from plants, they provide a safe, beautifully scented way to clean your home.
Here’s how to make an all-purpose cleaner using our Natural Clean Essential Oil:
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 30 drops of Natural Clean Essential Oil.
Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake to combine. Use as a spray cleaner in your kitchen or bathroom.
Don’t worry, we’ve done the work for you! We’ve put our Natural Clean Essential Oil into our chemical-free Natural Clean Hand Soap, which has been named one of the five best hand soaps in the UK!
Inhale, exhale and enjoy the mood-boosting, relaxing and refreshing benefits of the Natural Clean Essential Oil.
Using essential oils as a complementary therapy is likely harmless. If you have a serious health condition or are taking medication, you should discuss the use of specific essential oils with your healthcare practitioner.