When it comes to your gut health, prebiotics play a crucial yet often underestimated role. These dietary fibres can be key to nurturing a thriving gut microbiome in your journey to better health and well-being. So in honour of World Prebiotic Week, we have answered the who, what, where, and when of prebiotics!
What are prebiotics, and how do they differ from probiotics?
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible plant fibres that feed the good probiotic bacteria that live in your gut.1https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463098/ So, they’re pretty important!
- Probiotics put the good bacteria into your body (e.g. Chuckling Goat Kefir)
- Prebiotics feed the good bacteria (e.g. Chuckling Goat Complete Prebiotic)
Read more about the difference between the two here.
Simply put – prebiotics feed probiotics. Think of your microbiome as a beautiful ecosystem. The probiotics are the bees that improve the environment they live in, and the prebiotics are the flowers that feed those bees to keep them alive and thriving.
How do prebiotics work?
The good bugs inside your system munch up and ferment the prebiotics, which are plant fibres that your human cells can’t digest. Your good gut bugs then produce short-chain fatty acids like butyrate, that reduce the amount of inflammation inside your gut. If there are no prebiotics for the good bugs to ferment – there is no anti-inflammatory action inside the gut.
Why are prebiotics considered essential for gut health?
Prebiotics are considered essential for gut health because they provide the foundation for a thriving and diverse community of beneficial gut bacteria.
Can prebiotics strengthen the gut barrier?
Yes! Short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) produced from prebiotic fermentation help to strengthen the gut barrier, which is essential for preventing the entry of harmful pathogens and toxins into the bloodstream!
How can prebiotics help you?
- Reduce inflammation in the gut.2https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463098/#:~:text=Fructo%2Doligosaccharides%20(FOS)%2C,butyric%20acid%2C%20and%20propionic%20acid
- Support the growth of beneficial bacteria.
- Improve sleep.3https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170225102123.htm
- Help prevent eczema.4https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130328075716.htm
- Buffer the physiological impacts of stress.5https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170225102123.htm
- Improve learning and memory.6https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180117114916.htm
- Enhance digestion and metabolism.7https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463098/
- Improve calcium absorption.8https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323490
What are good sources of prebiotics?
Prebiotics are naturally present in many plant foods, including asparagus, green bananas, Jerusalem artichokes, garlic, leeks, onion, barley, rye, wheat, oats, soybean, chicory root, lentils, potatoes, and peas. Check out our Creamy Prebiotic Soup!
Our Complete Prebiotic is the easiest way to feed your good bugs the exact complex fibres they require.
Can I just eat one type of prebiotic?
No! Diversity is key here. Your gut bugs are fussy eaters, and each eats a different strain of fibre.
What is the Complete Prebiotic?
The Complete Prebiotic is a combination of 18 naturally occurring prebiotic fibres designed to give your gut bugs the food they need to thrive. This is the most diverse prebiotic available anywhere in the world!
This product enhances the effect of your kefir, and the two should always be taken together. When combined, the CG kefir and Complete Prebiotic provide a powerful synbiotic.
How is the Complete Prebiotic different from other prebiotic supplements?
Our Complete Prebiotic powder contains the following 18 different prebiotics:
- Fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
- Galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS)
- Guar Gum
- Isomaltooligosaccharide (IMO)
- Mannan oligosaccharides (MOS)
- Xylooligosaccharides (XOS)
This all-natural product contains every naturally available source of all the fibres your gut bugs need.
How can I add the Complete Prebiotic to my diet?
There are several ways to take your Complete Prebiotic –
- Mix into water or your morning glass of Kefir – stir thoroughly to dissolve.
- Gut-brain health smoothie – this is how we take our Complete Prebiotic on the farm. Here is some recipe inspiration.
- Add to yoghurt, and top with berries, nuts, and seeds.
- Add to hot chocolate (give it a good stir – heat does not negatively affect the benefits).
- Add to soups/casseroles.
- Give your homemade bread a boost of fibre. Check out this fibre-rich bread recipe here.
- Bake with it! Try out Saskia’s gut-healthy chocolate brownies.
- Add to porridge, muesli or granola.
- Prebiotic energy balls – Raspberry & coconut, Chocolate orange, Peanut butter.
Who can take the Complete Prebiotic?
Our Complete Prebiotic is suitable for those aged 4 years+. We recommend 10g per day, which is equivalent to 1 tablespoon. For children and those with a sensitive system, start with a smaller daily dose (1 teaspoon) and increase gradually.
How long should I take the Complete Prebiotic?
As our co-director, Shann would say, ‘Take it as long as you want optimum gut health 😉‘.
Purchase our Complete Prebiotic here!
It is always best to check with your GP for interactions with medications/health conditions before starting any new supplements.
Check out El’s Prebiotics: trick or truth!
Any questions? Contact one of our Nutritional Therapists via live chat, weekdays from 8 am to 8 pm.